Chat with us, powered by LiveChat

Importation of Personal Effect

move to malta

As more and more foreigners buy homes in Malta and relocate we are often asked about the guidelines for importing personal effects and vehicles. 

With the exception of firearms and weapons, there are no restrictions on the importation of personal items for EU citizens. Non-EU members must prove the transfer of residence in order to avoid any dues on personal items

However, registration taxes when transferring a vehicle to the Maltese islands do apply, as they are not considered as household items.   There are a larger number of local forwarding /shipping agents who can give the latest information and professional advice on transferring of both vehicles and personal effects. On transfer of residence to Malta, used cars ( those that are more than 6 months old or have more than 6000 kilometres), originating from EU member states, are not subject to VAT on cost (CIF). However, they are subject to the full registration tax.

New cars originating from EU countries are subject to VAT on CIF value and registration tax. Cars originating from non-EU countries are also subject to customs duty.

Owners of used cars are to notify Transport Malta if the vehicle’s arrival in Malta, and register within 15 days.

Minimum values of registration tax apply for non-EU vehicles having more than four years, depending on the CO2 of the vehicle. On registration of used cars, owners need to produce local VRT Certificates, local insurance policy and original Registration Certificate (logbook). In the case of new cars, a copy of the invoice and certificate of conformity will be required.

Foreigners taking up residence in Malta and who wish to bring their own car will not need to pay import duty on the vehicle if the following conditions are satisfied

  • Must have had a residence outside Malta for a continuous period of at least 24 months;
  • Have transferred his/her residence permanently to Malta;
  • Be the registered owner of the vehicle at the time of transfer;
  • Have possession of and actually used the vehicle abroad for at least 24 months before the date on which he ceased to have his residence outside Malta;
  • Must not be a student returning to Malta having attended a school, university or other educational or vocational establishment abroad for a period of fewer than five years or a person who had been serving in Malta's diplomatic corps outside Malta;
  • Must hold a valid driving licence.

Transport Malta govern all matters related to land, sea and air transport and can be contacted in case of queries or further details on this matter